Victoria Palace was designed by professor Duiliu Marcu (1885-1966), student of the Bucharest Superior School of Architecture (1906) and of Paris Ecole de Beaux - Arts (diplomat in 1912). After a first period of activity, complying in the beginning with the formulas of the French academic trend, afterwards with those of Neo- Romanian style, Duiliu Marcu joined the modern trend in the ‘30s, becoming one of its main representatives in Romania.
As of mid ‘30s, Duiliu March designed some important public buildings - Superior School of War, Victoria Palace, Palace of the Railway General Directorate -not as isolated buildings, but as parts of some urban assemblies. The architect education on the one hand, the official destination of these buildings and the political and cultural - architectural context of that moment on the other hand, justified his choice of monumental order and simplified neoclassical language.
Works at Victoria Palace started in 1937 and finished in 1944. Owing to the damage brought by 1944 bombing, the works started again and were finalized in 1952. Initially designed to be headquarters of the Foreign Ministry, Victoria Palace was the headquarters of Foreign Ministry and Council of Ministers during the Communist period and became in 1990, headquarters of the first Government of post - communist Romania. In 2004, Victoria Palace entered the list of historical monuments.
As Duiliu March stated, both the inside and outside of Victoria Palace illustrates "the concern to preserve the classical foundation and to make the modern simplicity idea emerge at an overall view and study of details". Initially, the main façade was, as the sides, covered in Carrara marble and had sculpted decorative panels, of the same material on its two sides; the damage caused by 1944 bombings led to the removal of the two panels and the reconstruction of the main façade with travertine plates.